Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My wife has been collecting social security benefits few…

Customer Question
My wife has been collecting...
My wife has been collecting social security benefits for a few years but they are not much. I have now applied for social security. How can she change her benefits and start collecting half of mine?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
3/7/2016
Social Security Expert: LawTalk, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

It is not possible to change from one social security benefit to another online.

As soon as you have applied for your own retirement benefit, your wife will need to either call social security (which could take hours to get through to) or she can go to the local social security office and apply for a spouse benefit.

She will need to take with her a copy of your marriage license as well as both of your social security numbers. Social security will then process her spouse retirement claim for her.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug