How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13521
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 82 yrs. old live on my social security and worried

Customer Question

I am 82 yrs. old live on my social security and worried about this Section 831 Bill that's coming to be effective soon. Is there a way to be grandfathered in to DRC Provision?
I hope I am understanding all this that's suppose to be happening. If not can you please help me to understand. Thank You for any help you can give me.
Olivia Hayes E-Mail. ***@******.***
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Olivia, you are collecting a social security benefit? And if so, it is on your own work record?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My husband and I were both on SS and when he passed away SS told me I would stay on my SS and they took a portion of
His and added it to mine to bring me up to his total, I had never heard of this happening. A few years later I took a temporary
Jod and worked a little over a year and half which they ended crediting my account but took the portion they credited to
Me and put it back in my husband account. I question SS about this as I felt Iearnedthat increase and certainly could have used that small increase. I still think they did me wrong. Sorry I really can't be spending to much money on this, that's why
I am concerned as to what's happening to Social Security. Hope you can help me. ThankYou. Olivia Hayes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hey Olivia, thank you for your patience, just wanted you to know that I got this post because I am merely checking in after the family has been put to bed. But I wanted to check back to see if you had the opportunity to respond. I can happily say that I don't see the new law will effect you at all. It has some drastic effects on those preparing to make SS retirement claims, mostly those that are not yet full retirement age who have living dependents at the time they may consider applying for their own retirement. But if you don't have such, based on the above, you should be clear - no negative ramifications.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Related Social Security Questions