How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37683
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I get a copy of my deceased husbands social security

Customer Question

how can I get a copy of my deceased husbands social security card
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I'm trying to apply for his benefits through his employer and I need his social security number. I've given them all the information except his social security number and they said that they can't find him in their system and that I would have to have his social security number, that I lost in a fire.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Social Security Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Only the social security administration has access to your or your spouse's social security records. However, there are many places that you or your spouse have to have used your social security number that may be accessed to get the number.

1. Look on your last year's tax return--state or federal and it will be there. If you didn't file taxes together last year or your spouse died more than a year ago, you can ask social security for past returns for a small fee-----and from those you can get his number.
2. Contact your bank because every joint bank account the two of you had has your social security numbers attached to it.
3. Every joint credit card you have had an application and that application needed your social security card so that you could apply for credit.
4. If you rent an apartment or home, or have ever purchased a home with a mortgage, chances are good that you provided a written document to the landlord before you rented with your social security number, or that you listed your social security numbers on the mortgage documents so that they could run a credit check on you.
5. Any employer that he have worked for in since 1936 would have a record of his social security number.

6. Finally, even the military can provide you with a number if you can provide basic information about the service member which is retrievable from his birth certificate, and even his death certificate.

7. Finally, for social security numbers of persons deceased, keep in mind that if the person has died, virtually every death certificate issued in the US over the past 40 years has the social security number of the deceased entered on the document. So if you have a copy of the death certificate, chances are good that you have his number as well.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,