Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am 77 and on SS. I have severe arthritis and is there any…

Customer Question
I am 77 and on...
I am 77 and on SS. I have severe arthritis and is there any disability payment I can collect in addition to my SS
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
3/5/2016
Social Security Expert: LawTalk, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good morning Chrisandra,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Unfortunately, social security laws allow a person to get only one kind of social security benefit at a time. More importantly, social security disability benefits are only payable to a person who is under full retirement age of 66. Once a person reaches 66, even if they are disabled, they are limited to taking their retirement benefit.

Under the circumstances you describe, I'm sorry but you are not eligible for a disability benefit.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,

Doug

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you were seeking, would you please now rate my service to you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug