Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I a widow collecting my husbands benefits. At 70 I was going

Customer Question

I a widow collecting my husbands benefits. At 70 I was going to collect my benefits. In order to get the above do I have to switch to mine first?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I would be drawing $800.00 more each month if I leave my benefits until 70. In order to benefit from the possible payout do I need to convert from my widows social security to mine?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $13 after the Retirement Accountant responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Retirement Accountant about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question -- my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you today -- once you are ready to take your benefit, you will need to call and change the benefit.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am inquiring about the possible lump sum?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You didn't answer my question?
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question - the only lump sum benefit you get at death is a $255 benefit. Other than that, you do not get your own personal lump sum if you have been drawing a widow benefit.