Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I would like to know about filing extra benfits before they…

Customer Question
i would like to know...
i would like to know about filing for the extra benfits before they close the loop holes .before april 30th .
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
3/4/2016
Social Security Expert: Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney replied 2 years ago
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney

The benefit you are thinking of is a spousal benefit - if one wants to file for a spousal benefit, and is eligible for same, the worker spouse needs to have filed for his own. However, if he doesn't want to collect his own, just wants to trigger his spouse's right to a spousal benefit, if he is eligible for suspending his own benefit, he may do so before 5/1/2016 and not automatically suspend his spouse's right to spousal benefit (either taken now or later). BUT, if he tries to suspend his benefits after 5/1, he will be cutting off his spouse's payments as well as his own. SO, if you or your spouse are otherwise eligible for a spousal benefit in the future, and you believe you will want to suspend your own benefits so they grow to age 70, you must be able to suspend them before 5/1.

As you can imagine, this law only effects those whose spouse can file for spousal. If you or your spouse are not interested in spousal benefit, or are not interested in suspending benefits, then you won't need to do this. It only concerns those extra dependent benefits.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gottenanything less, please reply back, I amhappy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

this didn;t help at all thank you

I can't create the law, I can only tell you what it is, with accuracy. I can understand that you don't like that law - in fact, for people like me, we just lost about $50k in retirement benefits that we WOULD have been able to file for. The law has hurt many of us. That said, is there any part of your question you need more details on? I am happy to help.