Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

How do you apply get grand fathered into the benefits that…

Customer Question
How do you apply for...
How do you apply for or get grand fathered into the benefits that congress is trying to bilk us out of?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
3/4/2016
Social Security Expert: PhillipsEsq., Attorney-at-Law replied 2 years ago
PhillipsEsq.
PhillipsEsq., Attorney-at-Law

Kindly provide proper foundation for your question.

What is your age?

Are you collecting benefits?

Are you married?

If so, how old is your spouse?

Is he or she collecting benefits?

Kindly provide additional information.

I am trying to find out how to be grand fathered in on my social social security benefits. I am retired and am 68.

Response: The new law will not take away your benefits or any benefits that you are entitled to. The new law essentially deals with two strategies some retirees were using to maximize their benefits namely: file and suspend and restricted spousal application.

File and suspend deals with when both husband and wife have reached their full retirement age. One would file and suspend his benefits so that the other would apply for spousal benefits only. Then the other spouse would apply for benefits when he reaches age 70. This would maximize their benefits. Under the new law, this loophole has been closed. So, when a spouse files and suspends, all benefits would be suspended preventing his spouse from applying under his earnings.

The other one is restricted spousal application where one spouse can elect just to apply for spousal benefits only and then apply for her own benefits later. This would no longer be allowed for any one that has not turned age 62 by the end of December 2015.

So, the new law does not affect you and there is nothing for you to do.