Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I read on the internet that there is provision that will…

Customer Question
i read on the internet...
i read on the internet that there is provision that will allow one to collect a one time lump sum check from Social Security for as much as $124,174......a resticted application that can boost ones income by $63,600-----Congress Clasified the bannin of these benefits as Closire of unintended loopholes.
Deadline May 1, 2016.... How ture is this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
3/4/2016
Social Security Expert: Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 2 years ago
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Thank you for your question - my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

The restricted application/lump sum payment works like this: You apply for benefits at a particular point in time from age 62 on. You immediately suspend, or tell social security you don't want checks. Your benefit continues to grow as if you are not drawing, but later on if you run into an issue and need some money - you can request a lump sum be paid to you back to the date you filed your restricted application. This will no longer be available as of May 1 of this year. If you are already drawing benefits, you would not qualify - it's only for people filing for the first time. Some unscrupulous financial blogs will entice readers by promising or alluding that they can somehow get this large lump sum payment.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.