How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37666
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm a widower at 63 years, my husband died at 57 years old I

Customer Question

I'm a widower at 63 years, my husband died at 57 years old I know I need to work until 70 because of what I'll receive from his benefits being greater than mine. Some one told me about Survivor Benefits that is not the regular benefits. Do you know anything about this and what I'll need to do. Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good evening Linda,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

If you are at least 60 years old and were married to a spouse when they died, you are eligible for a survivor benefit from social security.

All you need to do to apply is to go to your local social security office (or call social security) and apply for your survivor benefit. You will need your marriage license, a copy of the death certificate and both of your social security numbers.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is not the 255.00 that they give you when he dies'right? This is suppose to be something different. It is not the normal retired benfits either. Is there survivor pension?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.


No it is not the $255. It is a separate benefit. At age 63 they will pay you a survivor benefit of approximately 85% to 90% of the full retirement benefit that your spouse would have been eligible for had they lived to age 66.

Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

You may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further.

I wish you well,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you were seeking, would you please now rate my service to you?

Thanks in advance,