How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37414
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father in law is an american citizen living abroad years.

Customer Question

Hi, this is Yader. My father in law is an american citizen living abroad for many years. He is 66 years old trying to get the social security retirement benefits. Unfortunately he only has 14 credits on his social security statement. My father in law worked abroad as self employed running a cheese farm. He never filed taxes being abroad. My question is: is it possible to file past years taxes in one shot so he can hit the 40 credits required by IRS to retire? If so is it a requirement to proof the job abroad?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good evening Osmar,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Unfortunately, it is only possible to file back taxes for 3 years in order to be credited with social security quarter credits, and only the possibility of earning 12 credits for those belated filings. That still would leave your father in law short by about 14 credits to reach the 40 credits required. Now, if he did that and then worked for another 4 years, he could gain the remaining credits to reach 40---if that is something that is practical for him to do. Otherwise I am sorry, but he won't qualify for US social security benefits.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you were seeking, would you please now rate my service to you?

Thanks in advance,


Related Social Security Questions