How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37458
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a Canadian citizen and have been a US resident since

Customer Question

I am a Canadian citizen and have been a US resident since September 2000. I am 74 years old, have just retired, and have just applied for social security. I did not apply earlier as I was working full time. My question is, I plan to return to Canada to live now that I have retired. I was reading the information provided by SS and realize that I may not be entitled to any SS at all once I leave the US even though I have been employed full time and paid into SS since September 2000. Please let me know if I should immediately withdraw my application?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Monica,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

No, you do not need to terminate/withdraw your application for benefits. Social security will continue to pay you your social security retirement benefit because you are a Canadian citizen and you earned the retirement benefit while legally residing in the US. Here is social security's position on payment to a foreign national residing out of country. Please refer to page 5 of the pamphlet:

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you were seeking, would you please now rate my service to you?

Thanks in advance,