Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

It is related to File and suspend: If I file and suspend (66…

Customer Question
It is related to File...
It is related to File and suspend: If I file and suspend (66 years old), my husband (62) can claim spouse benefit without file?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
3/2/2016
Social Security Expert: LawTalk, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good afternoon Eleonora,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

While you can file and suspend if you are over 66 and file and suspend before May 1, 2016, because your husband is not yet 66, if he applies for a spouse benefit now he will be deemed to be applying for his own benefit as well and will not be able to collect just a spouse benefit. He could only do that if he were 66 years old and then he would be able to file a restricted application and take only a spouse benefit while allowing his own benefit to continue to grow.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you were seeking, would you please now rate my service to you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug