Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My son is 34 and he has developmental, mental and physically…

Customer Question
My son is 34 and...
My son is 34 and he has developmental, mental and physically disabilities since birth. At one time he was getting SSI but they changed it a few years ago to SSA Treas 310 Sec PPD. This check comes under his fathers social security number. His father is physically disabled. My question is: Will my son still get his benefits when his father passes away? And will he still get the benefits when he reaches full retirement age? I see that some people have lost their benefits at retirement age.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
3/2/2016
Social Security Expert: Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney replied 2 years ago
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney

Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.

With regard to your post:

"My son is 34 and he has developmental, mental and physically disabilities since birth. At one time he was getting SSI but they changed it a few years ago to SSA Treas 310 Sec PPD. --------- I presume that once one of his parents started collecting SS retirement or disability, or his father passed on, this is when he became eligible for social security instead of the SSI welfare.

"This check comes under his fathers social security number. His father is physically disabled. ------- Ah, OK, and that would trigger your son's eligibility for DAC benefits, disabled adult child benefits.

"My question is: Will my son still get his benefits when his father passes away? -------- Yes, and it should become 75% instead of 50% (subject to family maximum).

"And will he still get the benefits when he reaches full retirement age? I see that some people have lost their benefits at retirement age. ------- No, he will still get them. No one should be losing benefits because they become old enough to retire. Rather, if they HAVE their own SSDIB (which your son does not have), it converts over the SS Retirement, in name only, and they continue collecting what they have been collecting.

In sum, your son's benefits should continue so long as he remains eligible (no marriage, etc., with few exceptions, etc.) and when he father passes, his amount may jump up to 75%, potentially.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Thank you very much for your answer. I'm sure you will here from me again...Thanks again. Debbie

Hi Debbie, thank you, ***** ***** don't forget to rate with the 5 stars!

Hello, I was just informed that you will be charging my credit card every month. This was a one time question. Please take me off your list. I will cancel my credit card if you charge me a second time. I did not sign up to be a continued customer.Thank you

No Debbie, I am just the SS lawyer, I am not the site and I have nothing to do with your arrangement with the site. Please contact the customer service link you see and they will take care of you.

That said, would you mind providing a Stars rating? It is the only way I receive credit myself for helping, from the company. Thanks!

Thanks again!

Urgent!

Hello again. It is month end -Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because itis the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I canbe of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate mehighly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receivecredit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

StephanieO. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional

Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq