How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2983
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 66 year old divorced woman who started taking social

Customer Question

I am a 66 year old divorced woman who started taking social security at 62. I had one child with my former husband, who is remarried with two additional children (all children are over 30). What is this "single and over 60 social security benefit provision" that is being written about?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

That is the survivor benefit (your ex spouse has to be dead). At full retirement age (age 66 in 2016), you would receive 100% of his benefit after his death. This benefit is not in addition to your benefit. It is only the higher of the two benefits. You would have to be married for at least 10 years and be unmarried (or at least not remarried before age 60). You can also elect to take the spousal benefit of your ex husband (50% of his benefits but because you retired early, you would receive only 32.5% of his benefit). Your ex would have to be taking his benefit and it would have to be higher than your own benefit. you receive the higher of the two benefits.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?