Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My dad died on Feb 29 at 4:07 PM s social security check was…

Customer Question
My dad died on Feb...
My dad died on Feb 29 at 4:07 PM His social security check was direct deposited today. What do we do? Does it need to be given back. Also is their a time frame to notify them of his death. Things are happening real fast for my mom and we are trying to keep things straight. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
3/1/2016
Social Security Expert: Richard, Tax Attorney replied 2 years ago
Richard, Tax Attorney

Good morning Kevin. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

First, let me tell you how sorry I am for the loss of your dad. Having lost my own dad a few years ago, I know this can be a very difficult time for you and your family. I will certainly keep all of you in my prayers!

With regard to your specific question, pursuant to the Social Security administration (http://socialsecurityinfo.areavoices.com/2012/03/06/social-security-in-the-month-of-death-is-that-payment-due/):

"A: Social Security benefits are payable to a person only if he or she is alive for the complete month. This applies whether the person was receiving SSA retirement, survivors or disability benefits based on either their own earnings or the record of someone else.

To illustrate this, if a person receiving Social Security benefits dies during February, even on the last day of the month, no benefit is payable to that person for February. No partial payments are made for a month – either you are eligible for benefits that month or you are not.

Social Security benefits for a month are received the following month. Using the above example, SSA benefits received by this person in February were for the month of January and payable because he or she was alive all through January. However, the SSA benefit received by this person in March is for the month of February. It must be returned because he or she was not alive for the complete month of February. "

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!