Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I'm on disability and co-signed loan son to go to college.

Customer Question
I'm on disability and co-signed...
I'm on disability and co-signed for a loan for my son to go to college.
He defaulted on that loan. Since I'm on disability can I be dropped as a co-signer?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
3/1/2016
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

You would need to discuss that issue with teh loan provider.

Actually - if you son is agree to take teh full responsibility - and the creditor agrees - you may be released from the loan as a so-signer.

It is possible that the creditor will require to refinance the loan.

But otherwise - all parties must agree to release your from liabilities.

According to the terms of the NJCLASS Loan Program Promissory Note, if the student becomes totally and permanently disabled and the student is not the borrower, the borrower still has the legal obligation to repay the loan. If the borrower becomes totally and permanently disabled and the borrower is the only obligor on the note, the borrower’s legal obligation to repay the loan is forgiven. If there is a cosigner for the loan, the cosigner is legally obligated to repay the loan. If there is a co-borrower or joint cosigner, the co-borrower or joint cosigner is legally obligated to repay the loan if the borrower or the cosigner becomes totally and permanently disabled.

.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.