How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29933
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband is retired and currently receives benefits son

Customer Question

My husband is retired and currently receives benefits for our son who is seventeen. Our son has moved out and is currently living with his aunt. We are providing support financially both to him and his aunt for his care. This just all happened within the last several weeks. What do we need to do about the check we receive for hin? Thank you. (###) ###-####txt
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

The check is issued to your son - and because he is a minor - the money are sent to the custodian parent.

If your son is in custody of his aunt - you may contact the SSA and ask that the SSA check with be issued to his aunt as the custodian.

Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

To get benefits, a child must have:
• A parent(s) who is disabled or retired and entitled to Social Security benefits; or
• A parent who died after having worked long enough in a job where he or she paid Social Security taxes.
The child also must be:
• Unmarried;
• Younger than age 18;
• 18-19 years old and a full-time student (no higher than grade 12); or
• 18 or older and disabled. (The disability must have started before age 22.)

Let me know if you need any help.