Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

Can a person who is currently collecting disability switch

Customer Question

Can a person who is currently collecting disability switch to social security when they are age and work eligible ?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

If they are of retirement age, and have recovered sufficiently, yes, they can go off SSD and go onto their retirement. It would be rare I'd recommend it, but yes, they can.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gottenanything less, please reply back, I amhappy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

With regard to your post:

"My husband died in May, ------ I am very sorry for your loss.

"I am 63, can I file & suspend his social security until I am 66? & is there a deadline coming up for this? ------- You can not file for his benefits at all. Rather, you may be eligible for a "survivor" benefit based on his work record. But filing for it now means it will be reduced, as opposed to waiting til your own full retirement age (FRA) in which case it can be 100% of his benefit. You don't file and suspend it. You merely wait to file for it.

Whether you will want to do that likely depends on an analysis of your own benefit amount after various ages of delay, vs. the full survivor benefit.

I will add an additional services button if you want to review that process of analysis specifically.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!