How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37683
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother and father are elderly and do not use the

Customer Question

My mother and father are elderly and do not use the internet. I would like to create an account for them but I see that is impossible. We are trying to find out my mother's payments when my father passes away as death seems to be soon.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your family's situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I can answer your question for you without the need for you to access the social security site.

To begin with, each person is only entitled to collect one social security benefit at a time. I presume that your mother is presently collecting either a spouse benefit or a retirement benefit based on her own lifetime earnings.

When your father passes away, she will be eligible for a survivor benefit, if it is greater than the benefit she presently receives.

Under social security law, your mother's survivor benefit will be equal to 100% of the monthly benefit that your father is collecting at the time of his death----and I am sure that she must know what that amount it.

When he passes, she will need to go to social security with a copy of their marriage license, a copy of his death certificate as well as both of their social security numbers, and social security will assist her in apply for her survivor benefit.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,