Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

We use my mom 3 most social security payment to her pay

Customer Question
We use my mom 3...
We use my mom 3 most social security payment to her pay house insurance, property taxes and bills after herdeath. I've was going replace it after everything is settle but we still waiting for settlement. What should I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
2/27/2016
Social Security Expert: Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 2 years ago
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Thank you for your question. The only social security payments you will have to send back are the ones that are received after she passed. As you are paid in one month for the previous month, if she was not alive at the last day of the previous month you should pay back that amount. If you cannot pay right away, just pay it as soon as you can -- no need to be worried. They will work with you provided that you are honest with them.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.