How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a son who is 12 years old that has been my son years

Customer Question

I have a son who is 12 years old that has been my son for 7 years since we got married and I would like to have him added to my ssi as a dependent to add to my income like my daughter is that adds $1,000 a month till she is 18 years old.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good evening,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. You call this 12 year old your "son" but I suspect he is not legally, or biologically your son, but a step-son under law---right?

2. I presume that you do NOT mean SSI (which is welfare) but social security---either disability or retirement. Is that correct?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. He is my stepson legally.Does this mean that I need to adopt him? 2. Yes it is retirement
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good evening,

Thanks for the clarification. Interestingly enough, if you were to die, because you support him he would be eligible for a survivor benefit so long as he was a minor. However, for him to receive a child benefit based on your retirement income from social security, he must be your "legal" child---and yes that means that you must formally adopt him to ensure that he is eligible for a child benefit based on your retirement.

But as soon as the ink on the adoption order is dry, you will be able to get his social security child benefit right along with the benefit that your daughter is receiving.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you were seeking, would you please now rate my service to you?

Thanks in advance,