Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Are social security retirement benefits paid in advance or…

Customer Question
Are social security retirement benefits...
Are social security retirement benefits paid in advance or in arrears? My question really is as follows: My husband passed away on 2/25. Am I entitled to the check which will arrive on 3/3?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
2/26/2016
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

Sorry for your loss.

Social security benefits that will be paid on 3/3 are for the month of February.

To be eligible for a Social Security benefit, a person must be alive for the whole month for which a benefit is paid.

If the person was not alive on the last day of February - the estate or beneficiaries should return that payment.

Here is an example provided by the SSA

Lisa Beneficiary, a widow, received benefits in Cycle 1. She died February 29, 2008. The March 3, 2008, payment for February 2008 was not due.

See for reference

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0202408650

Sorry again for your loss

.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.