Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

What is the program that I am hearing about a lump sum

Customer Question
payout that expires in may?...
what is the program that I am hearing about a lump sum payout that expires in may?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
2/26/2016
Social Security Expert: Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney replied 2 years ago
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney

Expiring effective 5/10/2016 is the ability to suspend one's own benefits while NOT causing suspension of dependent benefits being paid on the worker's record. Thus, on that date, anyone who suspends his benefits, typically to earn "delayed retirement credits", will cause his dependents to also have suspended benefits, such as a spouse collecting spousal benefit or a minor child collecting s child's benefit. It is a big loss to those with that prior strategy in mind, but does not effect others who either can't or won't suspend OR, who have no dependent's collecting on their record.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure tos tart future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" ifyou want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

well to me you kind of talked in circles so I did not get anything out of your reply
also you take the thirty two dollars and I do not want anything to do with the membership

Talked in circles? That suggests to me that you are unclear about something noted above. I realize it is a confusing topic, so please do feel free to inquire, Mark, if you don't understand. Please specify which matter you do not understand? To me it is very clear, and I explain it about 10 times/day to consumers needing to know, but I understand that it can nonetheless be confusing.

But, perhaps a shorter explanation will help you best: The only way to get a lump sum payment is to refrain from collecting/filing for some benefit you could have filed for, wait 6 months, and then file for it and ask that you get the last 6 months retroactive. You will then get the lump sum of 6 months all at once, and also THEN get your regular monthly checks. There is NO option to get FUTURE checks in advance, in a lump sum. None.

There are scamsters trying to sell the public a bunch of info by luring them with the thought of a lump sum of something they were unaware of, or some profit to be had. Unfortunately, that is hype and scam.

Incidentally, the date for the suspension issue to change, the thing that is actually effected on 5/1, is 5/1, not 5/10/16.

Mark, let me know if there remains any confusion, and I am happy to help, as always. Just let me know what you need.

(I would add that I have not been paid for my contributions here on my own time, nor do I have any connection with your arrangement you may have with the site that allows Q&A like this.)

Thank you for understanding my role here, my desire to help inform the public as to SS issues, and our rating system, which merely provides credit from the site to the helper, like me, for time and expertise shared.