How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13548
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband retired when he was 63. I am retiring at full

Customer Question

My husband retired when he was 63. I am retiring at full retirement age, 66.
If my husband passes away, what am I entitled to from his SS? If I pass away after full retirement age what would he be entitled to from his SS?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Survivor benefits are based on WHAT the deceased person was receiving, not on his/her primary insurance amount. Thus, you could be eligible for his reduced amount that he collected as of age 62 and he'd be eligible for your amount that you end up collecting. The highest amount results when the worker who dies, ended up not collecting until he/she was 70, because that increase DOES get passed on to survivors. Remember also that we don't get a survivor amount in addition to our own, we can only pick the highest and switch to it - 2 people living on 2 benefits turns into the survivor getting by on just 1 benefit - the highest. It can be difficult to budget down when that happens, so it is often a good idea to start living on one income if possible, by downsizing, etc.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" ifyou want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!