How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Arthur Rubin Your Own Question
Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 1561
Experience:  Over 20 years experience in tax preparation, including some multi-national Social Security applications.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Arthur Rubin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received 3 social security checks last year. Do I claim

Customer Question

I received 3 social security checks last year. Do I claim this on my tax as income....will I be getting a statement from socsec with the information???? like a w2???
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been for over 35 minutes.....please cancel the subscription now
Expert:  Arthur Rubin replied 1 year ago.

If you're still interested in an answer:

Unless you do not have a filing requirement, and this is Social Security income (rather than disability income or welfare benefits from Social Security), you need to report the income on line 14a of form 1040A or line 20a of form 1040. Depending on your other income, from 0% to 85% of the amount is reported on line 14b/20b, and is taxable.

You should have received a 1099-SSA from Social Security. If you haven't you can request a replacement.

If you still want a refund, I understand, but there's aren't many experts on at midnight Pacific time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry about that - we are just going to take our taxes to be done professionally. This for your assistance