Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I received 3 social security checks last year. Do I claim…

Customer Question
I received 3 social security...
I received 3 social security checks last year. Do I claim this on my tax as income....will I be getting a statement from socsec with the information???? like a w2???
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
I have been for over 35 minutes.....please cancel the subscription now
2/26/2016
Social Security Expert: Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer replied 2 years ago
Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer

If you're still interested in an answer:

Unless you do not have a filing requirement, and this is Social Security income (rather than disability income or welfare benefits from Social Security), you need to report the income on line 14a of form 1040A or line 20a of form 1040. Depending on your other income, from 0% to 85% of the amount is reported on line 14b/20b, and is taxable.

You should have received a 1099-SSA from Social Security. If you haven't you can request a replacement.

If you still want a refund, I understand, but there's aren't many experts on at midnight Pacific time.

Sorry about that - we are just going to take our taxes to be done professionally. This for your assistance