How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 16580
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a letter from SS on Feb 19, 2016 stating they

Customer Question

I received a letter from SS on Feb 19, 2016 stating they were reducing my social security benefit. Initially I was given about $200 per month. I could not live on that even with a reduced pension from Illinois TRS. I then applied for 1/2 of my ex-husbands social security since we were married for 30 years at the time of the divorce. They have been paying me that 50% amount after I appealed my retirement benefit from SS.
Now they say I have been overpaid and I must return $23,946. I don't have that. Furthermore the retirement from my husband's SS was approved with full knowledge that I would be receiving less than 1/2 by TRS money.
I have no idea how to come up with the ANY money for repayment since I can barely pay my bills now. Furthermore this allotment was approved by SS and now they say I owe them. I can't pay. I don't deserve to pay since they made the error.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not been able to find employment to supplement my retirement income. I am diabetic, have high blood pressure, have thyroid disease and take pills as needed for anxiety. I am 71 years old. I have had 2 back surgeries and cannot stand for long periods of time. Do any o these qualify for disability from SS? I don't look ill, but inherited tendencies for these diseases from my grandmother, mother, and paternal aunt.
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Since Social Security made the error, you can apply for a request for waiver of overpayment. This will reduce, eliminate, or set up payment plans on your overpayment. The form is here:

When you fill out this form, be sure to indicate that Social Security had the information that you received the pension from work where you did not pay into social security. Put the onus on them, and you should be in good shape.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.