Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

In 2008, I was told I had an overpayment debt. My X was

Customer Question
In 2008, I was told...
In 2008, I was told I had an overpayment debt for SSI. My X was disabled and I got SSI for our daughter. He was also working, but never told me. I was sent a letter that I was overpaid. I went through the appeal process and it was determined that I did not owe and was not liable. Today 2015, I just got a bill for the overpayment. Can they re-open a case? The new letter today is a bill with a payment plan with a payment already received last month. I never sent any money last month. I never heard anything more about this until today. I have to letter from 2008 that states I am not eligible. Can they see my current income and now decide that I can afford to pay this back?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
2/26/2016
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

If you filed an appeal and there was a determination that you did not owe and was not liable - you need to reply to that letter telling them about that determination.
It is possible that the collection department just did not receive information timely - and issued that letter.

If you do not agree that you have been overpaid, or if you believe the amount is incorrect, you can appeal by filing Form SSA-561, Request for Reconsideration. You should explain why you think you have not been overpaid or why you think the amount is not correct.

If you agree that you have been overpaid and are willing to pay it back, but cannot afford to pay it back at the rate we tell you about in our letter, you should file Form SSA-632, Request for Waiver of Overpayment Recovery Or Change In Repayment Rate.

If you agree that you have been overpaid, but you feel you should not have to pay it back because you did not cause the overpayment and you cannot afford to repay it, you should file Form SSA-632, Request for Waiver of Overpayment Recovery Or Change In Repayment Rate.

The SSA will stop recovering the overpayment until we make a decision on your request.

Questions?