How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2983
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is ***** *****. I am 59 and almost 3 months. I

Customer Question

Hi, my name is ***** *****. I am 59 and almost 3 months. I retire about a year and a half or so. I worked for the U.S. Dept. of Interior (U.S. Geological Survey) for 13 years and have spent over 20 years in private enterprise. While at the USGS I was in the Civil Service Retirement system. After leaving the USGS I contributed to the Social Security System. Will I be able to collect both civil service and social security benefits? Thanks ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I was at the USGS from @ 1977 to 1990, then entered private enterprise. At the USGS I was a GS 9 upon leaving. In private enterprise I started out ~50 K per year, gradually moving 100 K per year. Is that what you are looking for...I am only looking for a rough estimate or idea. Thanks ***** *****
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Social Security Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

If you worked and received the Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS), you were not covered by Social security and did not pay into it. In 1984 it changed to the FERS which did take out social security. See link:

You will be able to collect both but your CSRS pension could affect your social security benefits because of the Windfall elimination Provision (WEP). See link: If you paid Social Security tax on 30 years of substantial earnings you are not affected by the WEP. If not then it will affect you and reduce your benefit. See link for chart to show how it will affect your benefit:

To answer your question, if you have 40 credits which is enough to qualify for SS (around 10 years of work), then you will receive SS but it will be reduced because of your CSRS pension which you will need to like at the chart I provided by the link to ascertain how much.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Just following up, do you have any further questions?