How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13565
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 73 years old. My husband passed away when I was 61. I

Customer Question

I am 73 years old. My husband passed away when I was 61. I collected partime on his social security as I was still working. I have since retired. I am still collecting on his socisl security (it was more than mine). Can I collect anything off my social security or am I limited to just colliecting on his?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hi, you may find that your own benefit is now bigger than that reduced survivor benefit you collected - reduced for taking "early" and possibly reduced if your earnings put you out of the full dependent category.

Your own benefit may have grown if you never started to collect on it - for every year we don't collect our own, from age 62 (or 66) to age 70, it can grow by 8%. This means that if you were comparing your age 62 amount on your own record with your age 61 amount for survivor, that comparison may be way off by now, since your age 70+ amount would be about 80% bigger than your age 62 amount.

That said, the only way to find out is to go to your local SSA office and inquire. You may even want to try going to

From there, create a passworded account and download your annual earnings statement which may tell you what you'd get on your OWN record at the various ages. You'd want to look at the age 70 amount. You can also double check that your earnings has been recording correctly.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!