Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I am eligble this year at 62 to collect social secutity I

Customer Question

I am eligble this year at 62 to collect social secutity I collect a dod pension and an army reserve retirement pension what doe I expect
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

You can expect that if you file at 62, you will be opting for a 30% reduction in SS amount - this is in exchange for the right to collect 48 additional months of benefits prior to your actual full retirement age.

You can also expect that IF you paid SS taxes on your DOD work, that work will not cause a correction in the form of reduction of SS to proper amount, but IF you didn't pay SS taxes on your DOD work, then your SS estimate you may have seen on your annual SS earnings statement was erroneous representing your lifetime earnings and therefore your SS estimated benefit will likewise be wrong. The WEP will correct that when you apply for retirement.

Assuming you paid SS taxes on your Army work, that should likewise not effect your SS benefit in any negative way.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!