How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29778
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I started receiving my SS 2012 age 63 I just came across an

Customer Question

I started receiving my SS 2012 age 63 I just came across an article stating because of Military service active duty anytime from 1957 through 2001 You qualify for a higher social security payment. I do I know if I am eligible for extra money in my social security? I served in the United Air Force Sept. 1967- Sept 1971. Thank you in advance
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

That information is correct.

Since 1957, if you had military service earnings for active duty (including active duty for training), you paid Social Security taxes on those earnings. Since 1988, inactive duty service in the Armed Forces reserves (such as weekend drills) has also been covered by Social Security.

Under certain circumstances, special extra earnings for your military service from 1957 through 2001 can be credited to your record for Social Security purposes. These extra earnings credits may help you qualify for Social Security or increase the amount of your Social Security benefit.

In January 2002, Public Law 107-117, the Defense Appropriations Act, stopped the special extra earnings that have been credited to military service personnel.


If your active military service occurred

  • From 1957 through 1967, we will add the extra credits to your record when you apply for Social Security benefits.
  • From 1968 through 2001, you do not need to do anything to receive these extra credits. The credits were automatically added to your record.
  • After 2001, there are no special extra earnings credits for military service.

Let me know if that answered your question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already applied and receive ss but served in 1967-1971
Am I entitled to more money in my social security benefit
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

Most likely - the credits were automatically added to your record for serving between 1968-1971.

But for serving during 1967 - you would need specifically inform the Social Security Administration.

Whether your social security benefits will be increased depends on your total earning record - and you definitely need to contact the SSA.

You can call toll-free at 1-***-***-**** (TTY 1-***-***-****).

Or you may want to visit a local SSA office.