Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

Can you get more social security if you took social security

Customer Question

can you get more social security if you took social security at 62 but kept working
from 2002 till 2016
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

First of all, you so not want to take early retirement if you continue to make significant income. Before full retirement age (age 66 in 2016) your benefit will be reduced $1 for every $2 earned over $15,720.Your benefit will also be locked in at the early retirement level. Yes your earnings past time you take retirementcan increase your benefit. Social Security takes into account 35 years of working average. If you have less than 35 years then a 0 will be added in for those years, so additional years of working can increase your benefit but the penalty for income will far offset and gains from working, and your benefit will be increased much more by continuing to work and taking retirement at full retirement age. It is not worth it to elect early and lock in a lower benefit and receive close to nothing because your income is too high.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?