Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I received a 10 year bonus voucher of $7500.00 in January of…

Customer Question
I received a 10 year...
I received a 10 year bonus voucher of $7500.00 in January of 2016. I have a year to claim this. It can only be used for a vacation, house repair or to pay down a car loan. It will be paid directly from the company I worked for. I started my retirement at age 64 in February of 2016 and can only make $1310 a month without SS taking back one dollar for every two I make above that. On the SS website this seems to be a situation where I can use this at ant time and not have it count against me for that month, as it is income previously earned before retirement and received later. I do not know if this is correct.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
2/24/2016
Social Security Expert: Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney replied 2 years ago
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney

Does your company actually consider it a Bonus?

And are you collecting your social security retirement benefit now, early, at the permanently reduced rate?

On my voucher they have called it an award. I sent an e-mail to ask if it is a Bonus. I collect my first check for this February next month and now work part-time for them.

Is it being taxed for SS purposes, do you know?

I do not know that yet. I am trying to find out. If it is considered to be granted to me in January I believe I am ok. I will let you know when I find out, if that is alright with you.

Sure.