How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37395
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been receiving Social Security since I was 65. I work

Customer Question

i have been receiving Social Security since I was 65. I work as a substitute teacher once in a while. I have been asked to take a three week job which will pay me at my per diem rate. I will be earning more than my benefit amount this month. Will I lose my SS benefits? What is the formula for calculating the effect of additional income on benefits?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Like what?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Social Security Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. What is your present age?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
67 years old
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just have this one question. I don't need to belong to your system. How much does it cost to answer my question?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.


Thanks for the additional information.

I have your answer fully prepared and am ready to post it but you seem confused about the cost. You agreed to pay $32 for an answer to your questions here. You are not obligated to take a monthly subscription and this can be a one time only cost if you wish.

Is this still agreeable to you?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please accept the fact that I do not enjoy, nor do I wish to learn it. I accept that it will cost me $32 to obtain an answer for my question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I left out the word technology from my sentence. It is not worth $20 to hear my answer and I am already at the computer. So, I'd like to continue here.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.


I have great information for you! Because you are now beyond the social security full retirement age of 66, you may work and earn as much as you want and it will not effect your social security benefit in the least. The income limitation that social security has only applies to people who are under full retirement age and who are both receiving a social security early retirement benefit and working for income.

You are all set. You may take the per diem job and still collect your full social security benefit.

While it does not apply to you, I will provide you the information you asked about as regards ***** ***** social security benefits.

If you are under full retirement age for the entire year, social security will deduct $1 from your benefit payments for every $2 you earn above the annual limit. For 2016, that limit is $15,720.

In the year you reach full retirement age, social security will deduct $1 in benefits for every $3 you earn above a different limit. In 2016, the limit on your earnings is $41,880 but they only count earnings before the month you reach your full retirement age.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I believe you advised me that my benefits will not be reduced after I have passed age 65. I am 67, os I will not worry bout it anymore.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.


Your benefits will never be reduced because of income you earn after you have reach 66 year of age. As you are 67, you may earn as much as you want and still be paid your full social security benefit.

Thank you for your kind words. They are appreciated.

Please understand that in order for me to be compensated for having helped you, I need for you to positively rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy.

Thanks in advance.

I wish you the best,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you were seeking, would you please now rate my service to you?

Thanks in advance,


Related Social Security Questions