How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband recently died, who am I contact and what am I

Customer Question

My husband recently died, who am I contact and what am I suppose to do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good morning Roxie,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Have you notified social security of your husband's passing?

2. Was he collecting social security benefits of some type?

3. Are you presently collecting social security? If not, what is your age?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
question -1 no; question -2 yes; question - 3 yes. age - 72
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information, Roxie.

While in the majority of circumstances funeral directors notify social security for you of your loved one's death, it is something that you should probably do as well, just to be sure that the death has been reported.

Based on your age, you should also ask social security about whether a survivor benefit, based on your husband's social security record, will benefit you. Quite simply a survivor benefit is equal to 100% of the benefit amount that your husband was receiving at his death. If that amount was greater than what you have been receiving, then you will absolutely want to apply for a survivor benefit.

There are only two ways to apply for a survivor benefit-----you can apply in person at your local social security office, or you can apply over the phone. Because reaching anyone at social security over the phone can take hours of waiting on hold, I suggest a personal visit to the nearest social security office.

When you go, be sure to take a copy of your marriage license, a copy of the death certificate as well as both of your social security numbers. Social security will process the notification of his passing as well as help you apply for the survivor benefit you are entitled to. Additionally, ask them to help you apply for the lump sum death benefit of $255 that you are also entitled to on a one time basis.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you were seeking, would you please now rate my service to you?

Thanks in advance,