How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 4677
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was married yrs currently divorced and 63 yrs

Customer Question

I was married for 27 yrs currently divorced and 63 yrs of age..........can I collect ss benefits on my earnings as well as former spouse's?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from just answer. I'm PDtax. I'll assist.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

You are eligible to claim now at a reduced rate. They will pay you your benefit on your earnings first, plus an additional amount of your divorce benefit would add to yours.

You can check the math online, but I suggest getting accurate assistance at an SSA office, where all the records can be accessed at one time. You will need to bring proof of marriage and divorce, and proof of your identity, but that visit will allow you to see your options and make a claim decision. Your income, financial needs, health and other factors will influence the best decision for you.

Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi again. PDtax here. Can I ask you to use the star rating system to rate my response to your question to close it out before month end? Thanks.