How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2983
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a retired texas teacher. I quit teaching in tx in 2000.

Customer Question

I am a retired texas teacher. I quit teaching in tx in 2000. I started receiving my texas teacher retirement in 2002. I began teaching in florida in 2000. When should I be able to receive my full social security benefits?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

If you receive a pension based on earnings not covered by Social Security that can affect the amount of your Social Security benefit. It is called the windfall elimination provision (WEP). If you paid Social Security tax on 30 years of substantial earnings you are not affected by the WEP. See link: The WEP reduces the amount your will receive for your Social Security benefit. See link for WEP chart to see how it affects your benefits:

Also understand that to be eligible for Social Security you have to have 40 credits (approximately 10 years of work). If you have been having social security taken out of your paychecks, you are eligible to receive social security benefits based on those deductions but again it would be reduced based on the WEP. If you did not have social security withholding taken out of your checks, you might not be eligible. So to answer your question; yes you should be able to collect SS (that is if you have enough credits). But the WEP because of your teachers pension might reduce your Social Security amount so it is unlikely (unless you have paid 30 years of substantial earnings to social security) that you will receive your full benefits unfortunately.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Just checking back in, did you have any further questions?