Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I AM 73 YEARS OLD AND RETIRED I NWAS JUST RECENTLY DIAGNOSED…

Customer Question
I AM 73 YEARS...

I AM 73 YEARS OLD AND RETIRED I NWAS JUST RECENTLY DIAGNOSED WITH TYPE 2 DIABETICS. I RECEIVED SOCIAL SECURITY BUT I AM TOLD THAT MY WIFE WHO IS 65 AND STILL WORKING SHOULD BE RECEIVING A PERCENTAGE OF MY SOCIAL SECURITY, HOW DOES THAT WORK/

Accountant's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

IS SHE ABLE TO RECEIVE A PART OF MY SS PAYMENT?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
2/21/2016
Social Security Expert: LawTalk, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good morning John,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Thanks for asking for me.

Well, your wife could seek a spouse benefit based on your earnings but the issues is---should she. As she is still working I presume that she is earning her own retirement benefit from social security. If she takes a spouse benefit now, social security will freeze her own retirement benefit and it will stop increasing in value. However, if she waits until she reaches 66, then she may file a restricted spouse benefit which will pay her a spouse benefit while allowing her own benefit to continue to grow by 8% per year until age 70 or until she decides to switch to her own benefit.

So, while your wife could take a spouse benefit now, it is probably a bad idea and she will be much better off waiting to take the spouse benefit at age 66. At 66 she will be eligible to get a restricted spouse benefit and receive the full 50% of your full retirement age benefit (what you were entitled to at 66).

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

John, if you might like to discuss these issues in greater detail I will offer you a phone call during which I can respond to all of your social security questions that you might have. I will make the call offer to you now.

Doug