How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37639
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like to change my social security # and my name how

Customer Question

I would like to change my social security # ***** my name
how can I do this? also my son who is 15 yrs is entitled to social security disability possibly as his biological father has been on dissability for 8 years... is there any way he can get that money, even though the biological dad is not on the birth cerificate... and the minor child has never been adopted. the PACSES case # *****###-##-####
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Monica,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

With extremely rare exception, social security will not issue you a new social security number. And only a court can order a name change for you---but you don't need a good reason for a name change. You can apply to the court for a name change any time you want.

As for the social security benefits, as the father is not on the birth certificate and was not married to you when your child was conceived or born, then you will have to file a Petition for Determination of Paternity in court and ask the court to order a DNA test. Then when the DNA proves that your son is the man's child, he will not only be ordered to pay child support, but social security will begin to pay you a social security benefit for your son based on his biological father receiving SSDI. You will also be entitled to a caretaker social security benefit of you get all of this done before your child turns 16. After 16 you are not entitled to a caretaker benefit---but your son will get a social security benefit until he is 18 or if still in high school, until he graduates or reached 19 years and 2 months old.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you were seeking, would you please now rate my service to you?

Thanks in advance,