How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13568
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband took early benefits at 62 and I took mine at 65

Customer Question

My husband took early benefits at 62 and I took mine at 65 and 8months. Is there any way to increase our current benefits? He is 71 and I will be 71 in April.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have heard that there are ways to apply for increased benefits and some programs will be ending this year. I get more than my husband, can he get more from mine?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Social Security Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

How much do you get?

How much does your husband get?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I get 2052.20 net and my husband gets 1453.20 net
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

OH, OK. Unfortunately, your spouse is getting more on his own record than a spousal benefit would get him. That is because he'd only get LESS than 50% of your primary insurance amount, so will under 1100.

As such, he can not file for spousal and even if he could it would not be beneficial for him.

The only way he can increase his benefit (or you yours) would be to have additional working years going forward, such that new earnings are among your top 35 years of income and kicks out a lower, previous top year. Depending on your prior work earnings, that change can make a noticeable increase in your benefits, or merely an incremental change.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

I wish things were different. The new laws take away some rights to some benefits, but don't add any. And they don't generally effect anyone over 70.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!