Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Can a person on SSI carry out a small business to supplement…

Customer Question
Can a person on SSI...
Can a person on SSI carry out a small business to supplement his income without penalty?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/20/2016
Social Security Expert: emc011075, Tax Adviser replied 2 years ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Running a small business is treated the same way as working for an employer for SSI purposes. It is earned income and it will reduce your SSI the same way as wages or salary from a part time employment.

What is the way wages or salary is treated? Is the SSI amount decreased by the amount earned? My friend is quadriplegic and wants to sell items on E-bay. Could this just be classed as a hobby that is profitable? Where can I see the regulations? Thanks for your help.

If you friend occasionally sells something on e-bay or Etsy, the income will not affect her SSI benefits. But if she does it as a hobby and regularly receive income, than the income should be classified as earned. If she makes more than $400 she will be required to file a tax return and at some point social security administration will be notified.

Here are the rules for SSI: https://www.socialsecurity.gov/ssi/text-income-ussi.htm