Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I reached a settlement check sick leave earned PRIOR to

Customer Question
I reached a settlement check...
I reached a settlement check for occurred sick leave earned PRIOR to 2015. The former employer took taxes out and issued a W-2 which has a dramatic effect on my taxes. The settlement clearly states that this money was for sick leave earned prior to 2014. Last summer I spoke with an S.S. AGENT in Alexandria, MN and they stated that if I had proof that the settlement earnings were for sick leave earned prior to my filing for social security IT SHOULD NOT COUNT AS INCOME FOR 2015.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
2/19/2016
Social Security Expert: LawTalk, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

The agent was correct, but only as regards ***** ***** of sick benefits earned earlier as far as a penalty by social security if you are receiving early retirement benefits. However, for income tax purposes, the money is income in the year received, and not in the year earned.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug