How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37395
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband is 71 (1-7-45) he took as at age 66. He is still

Customer Question

My husband is 71 (1-7-45) he took as at age 66. He is still working. I am 68 (7-26-47). I took spouse benefits on his ss. We have always filed joint tax return. I haven't worked in3 years due to health. I want to go back to work. I am real estate broker . My husband I'd a builder/remolder been in business for 42 years. We never know what income will be from year to year. What do we do not to loose benefits?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Jacklyn,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Because each of you is over the age of 66, each of you are free to work and earn as much income as you wish and you will not negatively impact your eligibility to continue to receive your social security benefit in the least. That is because after age 66 there is no social security penalty for earning too much money through employment. That penalty only applies to people under 66.

You and your husband are now free to work and earn as much as you wish. Your social security benefits will continue to be paid in full to you each month.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Related Social Security Questions