How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37426
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 68 years old, and my husband is 73. Is it true that I

Customer Question

I am 68 years old, and my husband is 73. Is it true that I can apply to receive 1/2 of his benefit amount, since it is larger than mine?
(Catherine Baughman###-##-####and husband Harry Baughman###-##-####
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Catherine,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

You bare eligible to receive a spouse benefit equal to 50% of the amount that he was eligible to receive at age 66---not 50% of what he is getting now.

But so long as 50% of his full retirement benefit at 66 is greater than what you were eligible for 2 years ago, then you can apply for a spouse benefit and take the larger benefit.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,