Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

I turned 62 in January 2016. I am retired and would like to

Customer Question
Hello, I turned 62 in January...
I turned 62 in January 2016. I am retired and would like to apply for social security benefits. How can I be assured that I am able to collect the maximum benefit allowed.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Social Security
2/18/2016
Social Security Expert: LawTalk, Attorney replied 1 year ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good afternoon Denise,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

You can't possible collect the maximum benefit allowed by taking an early retirement benefit now. Your full retirement benefit is not payable until you reach 66. If you take your benefit at 62, you will get only 75% of your full retirement benefit. And to truly maximize your benefit, you would have to wait to age 70 to collect social security retirement

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney