LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I am years old and receive SS benefits of my deceased

Customer Question

I am 69 years old and receive SS benefits of my deceased husband who passed away 07/01/2010. I also was previously married for 29 years and my exhusband is now 70. I work in Real Estate. Am I entitled to my ex husband's benefits if they are more or my own if they are more. I will be 70 3/2/2016.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good morning Jane,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

If you are not presently remarried, then yes, you are eligible for the greater of your own retirement benefit through social security, a survivor benefit based on the death of your husband, or an ex-spouse benefit based on your ex-spouse's lifetime earnings.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you were seeking, would you please now rate my service to you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug