Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Can I get more social security from my ex husband. I worked…

Customer Question
Can I get more social...
Can I get more social security from my ex husband. I worked a total of 23yrs before and after I was married. Didn't work for 20 yrs while married because he didn't want me around doctors. I'm a rn. So can I get more on my social security. We divorced 1996. Not remarried. He made very good money as a community broker. Please give me an answer. Now our daughter is unable to work due to a neuro condition that leaves her in pain, numbness and weakness. Worse than ms.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
2/16/2016
Social Security Expert: LawTalk, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good evening Theresa,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

If you are taking your own retirement benefit now, you would have to apply to social security for an ex-spouse benefit to know how much you would be entitled to. Based on your age, you would be entitled to no more than 50% of the amount that he was eligible for at full retirement age. And if you are already receiving more than about $1250 a month, then it is unlikely that you would benefit by applying for an ex-spouse benefit.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug