How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I get more social security from my ex husband. I worked

Customer Question

Can I get more social security from my ex husband. I worked a total of 23yrs before and after I was married. Didn't work for 20 yrs while married because he didn't want me around doctors. I'm a rn. So can I get more on my social security. We divorced 1996. Not remarried. He made very good money as a community broker. Please give me an answer. Now our daughter is unable to work due to a neuro condition that leaves her in pain, numbness and weakness. Worse than ms.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good evening Theresa,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

If you are taking your own retirement benefit now, you would have to apply to social security for an ex-spouse benefit to know how much you would be entitled to. Based on your age, you would be entitled to no more than 50% of the amount that he was eligible for at full retirement age. And if you are already receiving more than about $1250 a month, then it is unlikely that you would benefit by applying for an ex-spouse benefit.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,