Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am 72 and am collecting on myex husband. My check was 150…

Customer Question
I am 72 and am...
I am 72 and am collecting on myex husband. My check was 150 smaller this month than last. Why?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
2/16/2016
Social Security Expert: Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney replied 2 years ago
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney

Good evening. Can you tell me if you had greater income in 2014 than you had in 2013?

I made 11,000. I had nothing the year before. I am told this makes no difference in my benifits
Are you still there I will have to leave here pretty soon to pick up granddaughter

That's OK, I was stuck on phone with tech support. But you can reply back if needed when you return, I am in and out here most days.

OK, so you earned $11,000 in 2014? Did you have any other income? Such as selling a home, cashing out a 401k, that kind of thing?

No in fact the money I eared was in real estate so should be reported as much less but I did not take any deductions. I do receive veterans be if it's but was told that that is excempt
I did not push to have someone call, one of my pets must have brushed against tablet. I want no additional charges to my card.

No worries, I don't see that any thing came through suggesting you wanted a call.

OK, your veteran income shows up on your tax return, even though you may not pay taxes on it, is that correct?

And what was your first year of VA income?

No my veterans benifits were not on my tax return,,,just commissions an social security,Vet. Benifits...for disabled vet widow started in 2013

Was your income over $85,000 in 2014 or 2013?

No....just my social security and commissions as reported and the vet checks of 1258 pee month

OK, Hmm. Did you change Medicare plans? Or add a supplement or a prescription plan?

Folks on disability were to get a 19% cut this year. No med plans same since 2003
I started collecting S'S EARLY because of disability but when I asked why my check were so low I was told that I like made 30 dollars too much on my check to collect disability that was before I collected on my X husband

OK, first, it is not true that folks on disability are getting a 19% cut.

What is true is that Medicare costs rose and those on SS are protected from the hike, while those not on SS are protected - the extra for them gets put on the other Medicare beneficiaries who are not collecting.

Also, if you are found disabled by the SSA, the only thing your SSD check will do is prevent you from the WELFARE program called SSI (Supplement Security Income) - but that only happens if your SSD is bigger, so your SSD is more, and therefore, usually preferable.

That all said, I think a 150 increase in an supplemental plan that may be being deducted from your SS check is a rather large increase (if it WERE that) since you say you didn't change anything. But that is where I'd start: I'd check to see what the carrier is charging to see if they increased their rates. Then I'd go to http://ssa.gov/myaccount

From there, create a passworded account and download your benefits statement that should show you what the gross check is and all deductions. You can compare this to what was deducted last year, to see what was changed.

It IS possible for the SSA to screw up and overcharge, so if it continues to NOT be clear or make sense, I'd take a trip down to the local SSA office.

I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!