Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am 82 and my question: Is any of my social security

Customer Question
I am 82 and my...
I am 82 and my question: Is any of my social security taxable?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
2/16/2016
Social Security Expert: LawTalk, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good morning Robert,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

The answer to whether you must pay taxes on your social security benefits depends on the amount of total income that you have in any given year. Let me explain.

You can do the following quick computation to determine whether some of your benefits may be taxable:
A. First, add one-half of the total Social Security benefits you received to all your other income, including any tax exempt interest and other exclusions from income.
B. Then, compare this total to the base amount for your filing status. If the total is more than your base amount, some of your benefits may be taxable.

If you are married filing jointly, your base amount is $32,000.
If you are single, your base amount is $25,000.

If you file a federal tax return as an "individual" and your combined income* is between $25,000 and $34,000, you may have to pay income tax on up to 50 percent of your benefits. If it is more than $34,000, up to 85percent of your benefits may be taxable.

If you file a joint return, and you and your spouse have a combined income* that is between $32,000 and $44,000, you may have to pay income tax on up to 50 percent of your benefits. If it is more than $44,000, up to 85 percent of your benefits may be taxable.

Your adjusted gross income + Nontaxable interest + ½ of your Social Security benefits = Your "combined income".

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you were seeking, would you please now rate my service to you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug