Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

The x-wife of my husband is drawing part of s social

Customer Question
the x-wife of my husband...
the x-wife of my husband is drawing part of his social security. she has died. what happens to that part of his social security
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
2/16/2016
Social Security Expert: PDtax, CPA firm owner replied 2 years ago
PDtax
PDtax, CPA firm owner

Hi from Just Answer. I'm PDtax. I will assist.

That benefit was provided to his ex-wife without any reduction of your husband's benefits. When she passed, her claim for a spousal benefit stopped. That does not revert to your husband. It is permanently lost.

You don't lose anything when this happens. Her original claim did not decrease his benefit at all. Her passing does not add anything back.

Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.